For expert witness services see this page.
My bio is here.
I am an electronic publishing consultant, analyst and author, and principal of The Future of Publishing. Since 1988, I’ve provided consulting services to book publishers and other media companies, printers, design and advertising agencies, as well as vendors serving the publishing industry.
In 2018 I became a founding partner in Publishing Technology Partners, a new consulting group that offers a broad range of experience and expertise from a single source to clients in all segments of the publishing industry and to suppliers of technology solutions for publishing. My partners include Bill Kasdorf, Bill Rosenblatt, Bill Trippe, Steve Sieck and Ken Brooks.
I think that what sets me apart as a consultant to the broad publishing industry is:
- My in-depth knowledge of the most important technologies impacting the varied book publishing industries, including artificial intelligence. This in conjunction with…
- A deep expertise in metadata for books, including ONIX for ecommerce…
- A strong focus on business and market issues. Combined with…
- Over 40 years of experience in the publishing industry. But unlike many consultants and analysts…
- My focus includes the broad spectrum of publishing activities and industries from document origination, through publishing production and the particulars of most forms of publishing today. Although my background is in print publishing…
- I’m established as a leading analyst of the impact of online technologies on the full spectrum of publishing sectors.
My consulting assignments involve a broad range of challenges:
• In-depth consultation on book publishing technology and its many related issues, including metadata for books, ONIX, EPUB & Kindle ebook formats, supply chain challenges, XML-based workflows, and online distribution and marketing for books.
• Explore the impact of artificial intelligence within the book publishing industry, from authoring to editorial, to production, and through to marketing and distribution.
• Serve as an expert witness on book publishing and printing, in patent litigation and as an expert on publishing business development and on author relations. (More information here.)
• Advise book publishers on mergers and acquisitions.
- MIT Press (Cambridge, MA)
- Skyhorse Publishing (New York, NY)
- Perseus Book Group (Boulder, CO)
- The Walt Disney Company, Disney Publishing (Burbank, CA)
- Brush Education (Edmonton, AB)
- Nursing Knowledge International (Indianapolis, IN)
- Mosaic Research Management (New York, NY)
- Apex CoVantage (Herndon, VA)
- Adobe Systems, Inc. (San Jose, CA)
- CourseSmart (Foster City, CA)
- Enfocus Software (Gent, Belgium)
- Hallmark Cards, Kansas City, MO
- Apple Computer (Cupertino, CA)
- Thomson Learning, now Cengage (Belmont, CA)
- Transcontinental Printing (Toronto and Montreal)
- Australian Publishers Association (Sydney, Australia)
- Typéfi Systems (Australia)
Does your company or organization have questions about the future of publishing? Or how technologies will impact publishing, media, print firms and advertisers? For more information on how I can help, please fill out the contact form, or write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statement of Ethics
Both as a consultant and as a journalist I support the The International Federation of Journalists’ Global Charter of Ethics for Journalists.