September 2nd, 2009
There isn’t a whole lot of data on this ZDNet posting, but the news is larger than the data.
Nokia is showing (off) its first netbook, the Booklet 3G, at a trade show in Germany.
Here’s what I don’t care about the announcement:
- there are lots of competing netbooks on the market already
- most are significant cheaper than Nokia’s
- some have better specs
Here’s what I do care about Nokia’s announcement:
- Nokia is the world’s most successful manufacturer and distributor of cellphones
- Nokia’s R&D is widely-considered the finest amongst all of its competitors
- The rumors of what Apple will do next (post iPhone) are reaching a speculative crescendo
- I believe strongly in the movement to get as much functionality as possible into a single electronic device: I don’t believe in dedicated eBook readers
I can’t tell you what exactly to make of this product announcement other than: stay tuned…there are more surprises just around the corner.